forum going byb bye

Important announcements & information can be found here.

Moderators: Leo, angfa, RonO

AussiePeter

forum going byb bye

Post by AussiePeter »

G'day all

As part of upgrading the website it turns out the software running this forum is very old and cannot easily be upgraded. Thus we will be closing the forum.

There are two options:

Close it and get rid of it.

Close it and archive what is here (but will anyone ever look at it? Is there much information here that will be of any interest to anyone?)

We also have an option to start a new forum, but given how few people use the forum it is unclear if it is worth the trouble. Plus one day we will run into the same problem of having to restart it and losing what we've built.

Responses to this post will largely determine the path forward.

Cheers
Peter Unmack
sydad

Post by sydad »

Hello Peter,

It is really sad to think of completely losing this forum . I understand that it is little used these days, but I believe it still serves a purpose in that it is really the only public availability of ANGFA announcements. Sure there is facebook, but somehow this simply does little for me (OK i know I'm almost technologically illiterate) when it comes to using it for accessible information, but I'm sure that I am not alone in this regard.

I don't know if it is easy to archive, but I certainly occasionally refer to past posts: there is quite a lot of info that would be lost without archiving, and I don't know how accessible archived posts would become (once again a potential problem for dinosaurs like me).

Given that this current forum is so little used, it would appear that starting a new forum would be of little point. I don't know how much it costs to keep a forum such as this one going, but to my mind the best alternative is just to maintain it as a basic source of information re ANGFA, but then again I reiterate my ignorance on techno matters.

I apologise for not being really helpful here, but hopefully others will have more input.

Syd.
Nihil illigitimi carborundum
Grubs

Post by Grubs »

It would be a shame to lose the information. The software can't be upgraded but can the pages live on as a static archive with new posts and registrations disabled to reduce demands on maintenance?
DavidTR

Post by DavidTR »

I generally agree that unless it is actively used then is it worth investing effort into it. I would very much like to see some way of archiving it as there are many good posts on the forum added by many knowledgeable
people and some of this information and answers to questions members have posted would be a good resource to draw on. Can it somehow be archived to a file and this posted on the web page as a "Resource" that people can refer to??

I agree facebook (or maybe the way I use it) is not a great place to store or find information. It just doesn't have the functionality of a forum to search and refer back to old posts. But it is easy and people use it more and more.

My vote is to archive it somehow and close it to focus on other forms of media more people are using.

I also vote to resurrect the database so we can keep adding field trips (club or provide) as a record of fish distribution in Australia.
AussiePeter

Re: forum going byb bye

Post by AussiePeter »

Seems like our current web guru may have figured out how to upgrade the forum to keep it active! Bloody miracle!!